Thread Cafe (Kyoto-Shi)


Thread Cafe is a cozy natural theme cafe that is tucked away inside at a street in Kyoto city resident area. One may not notice that it is a cafe as the outer appearance is mostly just a sign board with their menu or today's special which hints you that is a cafe inside. It feels like is going through a rabbit hole and you will see the cafe appearance which is not as shady as the entrance. 


Drawing and poems can be seen on the way to the cafe and it tells you a bit of their theme. Somewhere along the line of natural and the beach, the cafe gives out a very nice morning sunshine environment. 



The selection is not a lot like a mainstream cafe however, you can ensure that the quality is there. They are also more focus on special and seasonal menus. You can expect something new almost every month or season. 

I had their coffee for my first visit and it has a really nice aroma and is not heavy. (Not sure what beans they use thought) I order the Cafe au Lait as I didn't want something too bitter or heavy. When it came, the cup and utensil just match their theme perfectly.

My friend also ordered their caramel latte and it was really good. (Well, how wrong can a caramel latte go wrong right.)


Overall, I like their drinks but I wish that they will have cocoa soon~ 






One of their dishes that instantly became my favorite is their Chamomile with lemon Muffin. Paired it with freshly made apple juice and my breakfast is complete. After this, I was in bliss and my day started off well. I thought I wouldn't be able to taste the chamomile, but it came out really nicely with the hint of walnuts and lemon. Mixing it with the handmade cream was even better. 

I was sure that I won't be able to find this muffin anywhere else. 


Their breakfast set really looks good and I may try it soon! I have tried one of their lunch set before, but I didn't get to take a picture of it. Most of the food they server is well balance with lots of veggies and not drench in sauce. What I saw was their set are in parts with small side dishes with one main, which goes well with each other. I shall try one more soon and probably update this post! 




〒602-0046 京都市上京区上立売道小川東入る西大路町58
Tel : 075-414-0133

Monday - Sunday
9:00 am - 6:30 pm (Last Order 6:00)

Breakfast 9:00 am - 11:00 am
lunch 11:00 am - 3:00 pm(LO 2:30)

Cafe/Tea Time 3:00 pm - 6:30 pm(LO 6:00)

Do check their website for the days that they are close because is not fixed.